top of page
Female Student

Important tips for international students

Q: Can I apply for a job before I get my post-graduation work permit?

A: Yes,

   but only if you:

–  were a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI) in a post-secondary academic,

   vocational or professional training program,

–  already completed your program of study, and

–  didn't exceed the number of hours you could work on and off-campus.

–  If we refuse your post-graduation work permit, you must stop working immediately.

  (Source of Information: From IRCC helpcentre)

Q: Can I work while I am waiting to receive my post-graduation work permit?

A: Yes,

  You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application

  if, at the time you submitted your application, you:

–  had a valid study permit,

–  had completed your program of study,

–  were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and

–  did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.

Transitional Period between SP and PGWP

Q: What are scheduled breaks?

A: Students must hold full-time status during the academic session prior to, as well as subsequent to, their scheduled break.

Each scheduled break should not be more than four months consecutively and students are not eligible to work full-time if the institution allows for back-to-back scheduled breaks.

Essentially, taking into account reading breaks and the winter holiday, students may only work off campus on a full-time basis for no longer than five months during each calendar year (e.g., working full-time for four months consecutively during a scheduled break plus full-time during reading breaks that generally do not exceed one week at a time).

Q: Maximum working hours permitted?


–  Students eligible to work under R186(v) can work up to 20 hours per week during their regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks (e.g., winter/summer holidays, reading week) and during the transition period to a post-graduation work permit (if applicable).

–  Students who are registered as full-time students during summer academic sessions (May to August) may only work up to 20 hours per week during that period.

–  Some intensive programs may not have scheduled breaks. Students participating in such programs may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the entire program of study.

–  There are no legal restrictions preventing students from working on-campus in addition to working the maximum 20 hours per week off-campus.

–  If staff at a designated learning institution goes on strike, students holding an off-campus work permit may not work full-time.

Q: Final academic session transition from off-campus work permits to post-graduation work permits


–  Students can apply for a post-graduation work permit during the 90-day transition period following the completion of their program of study (i.e., the date on which they receive a notification of completion) if they fulfil all of the requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

–  They can continue to work off campus provided that they hold a valid study permit and have applied for a work permit under the PGWPP.

–  They may be a part-time student if the course load required to complete their program of study during the final academic session is part-time.

–  Students must cease working if their work permit application under the PGWPP is refused.

Q: Can I work when I study in ESL program?

A: No, You cannot work during ESL study.

Q: Can I work before I start my regular full-time program?

A: Most likely no. But it may be possible for MA or PhD students. It may depend on the study and project.

(Source of Information: From IRCC helpcentre)

bottom of page